There are recipes online that helps users create ice cream with the help of a food processor. Food processors are known for their versatility and ice cream is not a hard task to do with one.
Down below is a simple guide to help you make ice cream with your food processor.
1. Pick a recipe to create a custard. When you pick one, prepare it without flavoring or vanilla.
2. When you are done with the custard, put it in a Ziploc bag and get rid of all the air. Once that is done, seal it tight and place it on your freezer flat on its back. Make sure to freeze it completely before you proceed to the next step.Note: It is important that the air is gone from the Ziploc bag before you freeze it. If you only froze it, there is a possibility that ice crystals will form in these pockets. You will also get a semi-solid block which will affect the texture when you process it. The flavor will also be affected due to the reduced creaminess of the custard.
You also cannot process the custard without freezing it because the taste will also be bland. Take out the custard and put it in your food processor. Process the custard until it is smooth and add in the flavors you want.
3.Once the whole thing is processed, place the ice cream on a container and put it back in the freezer.
4. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Using this method will give your ice cream a gelato-like texture. However, you can add some unique touches to it like chocolate chips, fruits and syrups.
Want to give it a spin and make healthy food processor ice cream? Here are some simple recipes you can try out at home.
Are you a fan of coconut? If that is a big yes, you can try out this simple coconut ice cream recipe.
1 can of unsweetened coconut milk
1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
1/4 nonfat dry milk
2 large eggs
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup packed flaked coconut
1/2 granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon fine salt
– Put a fine-mesh strainer over a heatproof bowl then put it on the side.
– Combine the cream, 1/4 cup sugar, dry milk, coconut milk and salt in a saucepan and whisk until the milk powder dissolves. Let it simmer over medium heat and occasionally stir.
– Whisk eggs, 1/4 cup of sugar and vanilla in another bowl until it is thick and evenly mixed. When the cream is finished, whisk one-third of this egg mixture constantly so the cream will not cook the eggs.
– Put the cream and egg mixture back to the saucepan and cook it on medium heat. Constantly stir it with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens. It should take around 3 minutes. You will know it is ok if the spoon is coated evenly and when you touch it, it will leave a mark.
– Pour the mixture in the strainer to catch mixture clumps. Discard these clumps and mix the flaked coconut in the ice cream base until it is evenly mixed. You can then press a plastic wrap on the mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate the mixture until it is completely chilled for 4 hours.
– Freeze the base and process it.
– Serve ice cream.
Fans of banana would love this simple food processor banana ice cream recipe. You will only need 2 ripe and frozen bananas.
– Slice the bananas
– Place the bananas inside the food processor and blend
– As you process bananas, scrape down the sides and make sure the mixture is smooth. It usually would take around 3 to 5 minutes to get the right consistency.
– Once it is done, scoop it into a bowl and serve it. If you want something firmer, you can place the ice cream in a ziplock or freezer-safe container and put it in the freezer.
– You can also put toppings on your ice cream for an extra touch.
Want to make an all-natural pistachio ice cream? Here is one way you can do it with your food processor.
1 cup unsalted and shelled roasted pistachios (make sure it is cooled)
1/4 teaspoon fine salt
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
6 large egg yolks
– Mix pistachios, salt and sugar in your food processor bowl and process it using a blade attachment. Process it until the pistachios have been finely ground. It will usually take about 15 seconds to get the right mix.
– Mix the pistachio mixture, milk and half-and-half in a saucepan and let it simmer over medium heat. While this is ongoing, make an ice water bath then set aside.
– Whisk the egg yolks and the extra in one large bowl until it is smooth, light in color and foamy. Slowly pour 1 cup of the hot milk mixture on the egg yolks and whisk.
– Pour the mixture back in the pan and let it cook over medium-low heat and stir until the custard coats your spoon evenly.
– Put the custard in another clean bowl and place it over the ice bath to chill for 15 minutes. When the base is lukewarm, cover it and put in the refrigerator to chill for 3 to 12 hours.
– When that is complete, freeze and process it to serve.
Got other food processor ice cream recipes? Share with us by commenting below!